Sunday, December 16, 2007

Google vs MS - interesting

Came across this article today (about how Google & Microsoft are headed for a showdown in online services) and found it pretty interesting - what do you think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/technology/16goog.html

Good discussion is here: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/16/2127244

My .02 - per what I've seen in my own experience among my friends, family & even in my company, I'd say that Google is in the better position - MS is in a weaker position for the future based on its tendency to promote closed, proprietary solutions. It seems that when people are spending time on their computers, both during & outside of work, they are doing it to be online - and most online applications are browser independent. It's not unreasonable to think that in a few years people will be doing most of their web surfing via iphone (or equivalent) - I'm not sure where the compelling reasons are to pay the extra cost of maintaining a Microsoft desktop*.

*Aside, of course, for those out there who really, really need/love PC games and don't have a dedicated console gaming platform.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: