Sunday, August 19, 2012

Thoughts on fatherhood

This blog (and my other web pages) have been sadly neglected.

Stuff has been happening; life being busy and all that, blah blah blah....

Among the more recent developments, I am a father now and am nearly 4 weeks into it.

Consequently, I am in a higher amount of correspondence with friends and family.

I wrote this in  a reply, and I think this is a good summation of where I'm at:

Fatherhood? This is still early days, really...so we're kind of in this place where every day's routine is nearly the same. I'm very fast at changing diapers now. The boy tends to mostly cry only when he's hungry...which is often. In a way, baby care feels a lot like troubleshooting; you are always running down a list of possible issues and trying different things out to see what works and what does not. 
The boy is putting on some weight now, though it's mostly in the form of a Buddha belly. Seems to stay awake a bit longer too. Doesn't do a ton of things while he's awake though...he's mostly into staring. 
I'm sure you've probably heard some people say what it's like to be a parent and how it changes your world...and now that I'm in that position, I agree. It's hard to imagine what it's like until you do it yourself.  
I suppose one can imagine sleep deprivation combined with being really busy due to this nagging thing that entirely relies on you - but the thing that is harder to imagine is the sense of joy that the kid provides to you. I'm not exactly sure WHY that's the case, but it's a nice feeling. :)

No comments: