Monday, July 26, 2010

Busy & thinking

Work has been busy; some long days last week but a good challenge - something new and different.

Anyway, things seem slightly slower this week and I have time to make a few comments on life.

  1. I have crossed over to the dark side and got cable. I did not really set out to do this, but there was a Comcast guy making the rounds going door to door pushing some upgrades, and I thought it would be easier to get a question answered about my cable modem just by talking to him rather than calling up their 800 number. He answered my question, then pointed out that I could have cable TV + internet for the same price that I was paying for my internet right now (at least for the first 6 months). We’re not going too crazy with it right now, but it’s convenient so far. Annoyed that much of the “on demand” content is not in HD...In a way, I have better selection (and better pictures) with Netflix streaming than with Comcast’s stuff. So I’m not particularly inclined to keep this beyond the promotional period...(we’ll see how that goes).
    • Drawback in that HGTV seems to be the thing we agree on (sorta) and I’m being programmed to know property
  2. Music! Got to jam a bit at a party last weekend, which was nice (and something that I was long overdue for). Was shy at first, but could not resist opportunity to try playing an electric ukulele.
  3. Music to listen to - lots of good releases; some really new, a lot just new to me:
    • Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip (new to me)
    • Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
    • The Roots - How I Got Over
    • Mr. Bungle - California (this came out in 1999)
    • The Streets - Everything is Borrowed (this came out in 2008, but was news to me two weeks ago)
    • The Orb - The Orb’s Adventures beyond the underworld (this is from 1991 or 1994...but I didn’t listen to it at all at the time)
    • Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (I had one of their other records but not this one)
    • M.I.A. - Maya

No comments: